My Favourite Play Dough recipe - Kid tested for over 14 years!!
Using Play Dough as a Sensory Development tool is a no Brainer.
There's a reason every Kindy and School has play dough available for children to play with. Not only does it FEEL awesome to squish between your fingers, it helps your childs brain develop too! How awesome is that?
Sensory Play has a tonne of benefits for your kids:
- Research has shown that sensory play builds nerve connections in the brain’s pathways, which lead to the child’s ability to complete more complex learning tasks.
- Sensory play supports language development, cognitive growth, fine and gross motor skills, problem solving skills, and social interaction.
- This type of play aids in developing and enhancing memory.
- Sensory play is great for calming an anxious or frustrated child.
- It also helps children learn sensory attributes (hot, cold, sticky, dry, soft, hard)
Knowing how beneficial sensory play is, lets get on to making some gorgeous silky Play Dough!
I'm sharing below my favourite Play Dough recipe. This is the one I used year after year as a teacher to encourage and engage students in lots of different ways. Its only limit is your imagination!
Play Dough Recipe
1/2 cup of Salt
2 Tablespoons of Oil
1 Tablespoon of Cream of Tartar
2 cups of Hot Water
2 cups of Flour
Splash of Food Colouring
Put all of the ingrediants in a large pot. Stir over a medium heat until the dough forms a blob in the middle of the pot. This takes around 5/10 minutes - Arms Day done! Put dough out on a floured bench and give a quick knead - the doughs lovely and warm - enjoy this before sharing it with your kids.
This Play Dough keeps for AGES in an air tight container.
I encourage my kids to play with this heaps - I especially bring it out a little more while I'm cooking dinner. They love to play, chop, roll & squish it - And I get to cook without little people under my feet! Win:win